Strawberries and bananas have long been friends. They go together like chocolate and peanut butter, like lemon and meringue, and like coffee and cream. Usually you’ll find strawberry and banana blended together in smoothies, but here’s a more solid option. In its simplest form, this recipe makes a banana bread. By substituting half of the bananas with oven-roasted strawberries, this loaf becomes something way beyond any ordinary banana bread. The handful of chopped pecans adds some bite and texture. Every nibble you take of this quick bread is different, surprising you with some banana, nuts, moist cakey bread, or strawberry oozing with deep berry flavor.
I recommend roasting more strawberries than you need for this recipe and keeping them (along with the strawberry juice) in a jar in the fridge. Pour this hot or cold on top of vanilla ice cream or add a bit to your breakfast cereal to take these dishes to the next level.
A quick bread perfect for brunch with friends. If you have any leftovers, tightly wrap in plastic and store in the refrigerator. Bring chilled bread back to life by toasting the slices for a few minutes.
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) strawberries, hulled
- Butter, for greasing pan
- 1 cup (140 g) flour, plus more for pan
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) canola oil
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup (64 g) chopped pecans
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a loaf pan with butter and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Place the strawberries on a baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes.
- Place a collander over a large bowl. Transfer the strawberries to the collander and allow them to cool, with the juices dripping down into the bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, buttermilk, vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Add the pecans and mashed bananas and whisk gently to combine.
- Add the strawberries to the batter and gently fold to mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and give it a stir to evenly distribute the fruit.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean, 60–65 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.